1. What's in a name? Do the labels we attach to people tell us everything we need to know? If we say she's just a child, does this mean she's truly innocent? Does calling her a drug dealer prove she's purely evil? Will a man known as "preacher" always practice what he preaches? Can a man branded a villain possess the qualities of a hero? The truth is, a name can never really tell you who someone is any more than it can tell you what they're capable of.
2. Blindness--it's an affliction that prevents people from seeing what is right in front of them...like the wives who can't detect the jealousy that consumes their husbands...the women unable to see that a rival might also be a friend...the men who stay oblivious to the guilt that lies deep within them. Yes...The world is filled with those who cannot see. The most dangerous are the ones who stay blind to the evil within their own hearts. How do we protect ourselves from these people? First, we have to open our own eyes and find them...before they find us.
3. These are the things that happen in the wake of any great disaster. People start to perform small acts of kindness. They do what they can to help, all the while knowing...it won't be enough.
Yes, in the wake of a great tragedy, people do what they can to help...all the while knowing...it won't be enough.
4. The past is never truly behind us. Ghosts lurk in the shadows, eager to remind us of the choices we made. But if we look back, we might find an old friend with open arms...or an old enemy with a hidden agenda...or a grown-up son with a forgiving heart...Sadly, some of us refuse to look back, never understanding that by denying the past, we are condemned to repeat it.
5. There is much to be afraid of in this world. But what we fear has nothing to do with gruesome masks, or plastic spiders, or lifelike monsters. No, it's the thoughts in our head that terrify us the most... What if she comes to regret her decision? What if he really is unhappy? What if the chance for love has passed forever? How do we conquer these terrifying thoughts? We start by reminding ourselves what does not kill us...just makes us stronger.
6. There is nothing more deceptive than a smile, and no one knows this better than the people who hide behind them. Some flash their teeth as a polite warning to their enemies. Some put on beaming faces to keep their tears from falling. Others wear silly grins to mask their fear. But then there is that rare smile that is actually genuine. It's the smile of a person who knows his troubles will soon be over.
7. Passion. It's a force so potent we still remember it long after it's faded away. A drive so alluring it can push us to the arms of unexpected lovers. A sensation so overwhelming it can knock down walls we built to protect our hearts. A feeling so intense it resurfaces even though we try so hard to keep it buried. Yes, of all emotions, passion is the one that gives us a reason to live and an excuse to commit all sorts of crimes.
8. Yes, it can happen so quickly. Life as we know it can change in the blink of an eye. Unlikely friendships can blossom. Important careers can be tossed aside. A long-lost hope can be rekindled. Still, we should be grateful for whatever changes life throws at us, because all too soon the day will come when there are no changes left.
9. Sweetie, we can't prevent what can't predict. Isn’t there anything I could do? Yes, yes. You can enjoy this beautiful day. We get so few of them.
10. We all carry something with us. Of course, it's nice if we travel with someone who can help lighten the load. But usually, it's easier to just drop what we've been carrying so we can get home that much sooner.
Assuming, of course, there will be someone there to greet us when we arrive. Why do we clutch at this baggage, even when we're desperate to move on? Because we all know there's a chance we might let go too soon.